Preparing students for college and career in the 21st century begins with strong standards, curriculum, and assessment of student learning. Recognizing the need to ensure all students are prepared to collaborate and compete globally, Delaware has adopted stronger standards supporting 21st century learning, including the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in math and English, and the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
We supported the state in learning from the highest performing school systems in the world and their intense focus on preparing students for college and career in the 21st century.
Rodel acted as a partner to develop communications resources that build understanding and support the implementation strong college and career readiness standards.
We also support efforts to ensure state and locally mandated assessments support the teaching and learning process by providing timely, clear, and relevant feedback to students, parents, educators, and policymakers.
- Standards and Assessment Policy Brief (2015): This brief provides an introduction to the issue, overview of the current landscape in Delaware, summary of how Delaware compares to other states and the nation, and links to additional resources.
- Additional Detail on Standards and Assessment (2015): Data and information about standards and assessment in Delaware and nationally.
- Resources to Support a Shift in Standards (2015): This updated list provides an overview of many of the initiatives and resources that have been created to help support educators, parents, and the community understand the Common Core State Standards and the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Delaware Public Education at a Glance (2015-16) Our Delaware public education resource guide features key statistics on student achievement.
- Common Core State Standards Overview (2014): This brief provides an overview of the Common Core State Standards and resources for supporting implementation in Delaware.
- Video: What is Common Core? (2013): Watch this video to see how Delaware teachers and students are applying new strategies to fuel greater student achievement with the help of Common Core Standards.
Check out the Rodel blog for more information!
Other Standards and Assessment Resources
- Delaware Assessment Inventory (2016): Delaware’s formal assessment review process which provides an in-depth inventory of all assessments currently being administered at the state and district level.
- DelExcels Website (2016): DelExcels is a coalition between the Delaware Department of Education, Delaware State Education Association, Delaware Parent Teacher Association and Rodel Foundation of Delaware that aims to inform all Delawareans about the changing education standards and assessments in our state.
- Delaware Department of Education, Standards and Instruction (2016): Department of Education’s website has many resources on standards and assessment in Delaware.
- Teaching Higher: Educators’ Perspectives on Common Core Implementation (2016): This study collected perspectives from a sample of teachers and principals in Delaware and four additional states last spring, focusing on math and English language arts (ELA) teachers and principals in grades four through eight. All were asked to provide their views of the Common Core training and supports they received prior to the administration of their state’s assessments.
- Former Delaware Teachers of the Year on Common Core (2013): In June 2013, recent district and state Teachers of the Year from Delaware were surveyed for their perspectives on their status of implementing of the Common Core State Standards. They developed specific recommendations for Delaware policymakers, school and district leaders, and community partners.